Sunday, March 01, 2015

The Speech


For posterity's sake, here is the speech. She said that technically she didn't write it (it was SO long, mama!), but instead she told her counselor and she wrote it for her. Her words, though. Our pride. 



"I was adopted when I was one day old. I know nothing about my first mama except she was kind enough to give me to the orphanage--maybe because we were poor but I don't know for sure. Maybe we didn't have enough room in our house or enough money to take care of me and she didn't want me to suffer. But what I do know about my first mama and baba is that they were from China.

Because I am from China, I call my parents mama and baba because that's what they call parents in Chinese and Arabic. In Spain, they say mami and papi, and in Canada, they say mom and dad. My mom and dad are from the USA, and they are Ms. Tara and Senor Ethridge.

When people ask, 'where are you from?' I think it is weird and none of their business, but I tell them anyway to be kind. I say I am from China but not totally because my mom and dad are American. I am Chinese but I don't speak Chinese. I have never been to China except for when I was just a baby so I don't remember. But I would like to go there to try the noodles because I LOVE NOODLES! 

I am a third culture kid because I live overseas from my hometowns and home countries. This makes me feel cool because I am part of cross-cultural places."





2 comments:

Popo and Gong Gong said...

She's a beauty, that girl is. Her words are so beautiful and someday, when she is all grown up and reads this, she will be amazed at how grown up her thoughts were. Love this little girl with the big, big heart.

Anonymous said...

Hi this is Nie Nie Hope to see you soon