Saturday, July 05, 2014

Laughing At Ourselves

Dale and I are big on not taking ourselves too seriously. We are pretty great at keeping each other in check in life, and we laugh at ourselves quite a bit. We also tease each other like crazy, but we both feel it's the secret to our bliss.

This must be rubbing off on Sojo because she has entered this hilarious, glorious stage of deep, deep belly laughs. Mostly about herself and her mistakes, or us and our mistakes (oh, she just loves when we make mistakes!).  There is such happiness and relief on our part to see this change because we went through a very long stage of her being really hard on herself and being super embarrassed if she made even the tiniest mistake. Even if she fell down and we asked her if she was ok, she would freak out on us. These parent feet were tiptoeing on eggshells for a good while, but no longer...

Case in point is the other day, I walked into her room while she and her friend were hanging out. They told me they were both writing in their diaries. Cool enough. Then, she decided to read it to me. It went a little something like this:

"Dear Diary....wait--that's not right. I wrote Dear DAIRY instead of Dear Diary"

Insert kid giggles for funny spelling mistakes. Then I added,

"Dear Dairy, I love yogurt and cheese soooo much. They are the best. So is butter. I love all dairy."

Insert hilarious, literally knee-slapping belly laughs.

Now, all we have to say to each other is...."Dear Dairy" and we laugh like mad. Even when we went to the store for food the other day, I said to her, "Please be careful here because I know how much you love dairy. I don't want to catch you hugging and kissing random dairy products."

So, of course, we had no choice but to do just that.


Here's to living proof of my parenting (and teaching) motto: Love 'em through it.


1 comment:

Popo and Nana and Gong Gong and Granda said...

Love 'em through it,,,what a great parenting skill