Saturday, November 23, 2013

Happy Best Friends Day

I've been wanting to write this post for so many years...

Long ago, like when Sojo was probably two, she invented a game called "Happy Best Friends Day." It was a simple game with two objects (could be any object--2 cars, 2 small toys) and each person held an object and played. The game, in its early stages, went something like this:

Sojo: Ding Dong.

Me or Dale: Yes, who is it?

Sojo: It's me.

Me or Dale: Hello.

Sojo: Happy Best Friends Day!!

Me or Dale: Happy Best Friends Day!!

Sojo: Ding Dong...

And then it started again. Same words, over and over and over. And over.

Happy Best Friends Day rocked when we were travelling because she didn't care what 2 items we held as long as we could follow the script.


Cut to the present day--5 years later!--and Happy Best Friends is alive and well, albeit evolved over the years. Now, it is any sort of pretend play that we do together as a family (the rule in her mind is that only Dale and I can play this game, and Dale is better at it, according to her). We now use her extensive Hot Wheels collection and blocks to create much more elaborate scenarios with bad guys and night monsters and all sorts of crazy stuff, yet I adore that she still calls it Happy Best Friends Day. 

I also adore that last weekend she asked Dale and me to play because, in her words, "I've been playing a lot with my friends on the weekend and maybe we should spend some time together." 


2 comments:

Popo and Nana and Gong Gong and Granda said...

I always wanted to play but never understood how until now. However, I also knew that only Mama and Baba were allowed. No wonder we were never taught how to. Now, it is just too complicated for us oldies. LOL. She sure has an active imagination. Love it.

Anonymous said...

I have watched over the years and think all three of you have great imaginations! Love NieNie