Friday, August 23, 2013

Amsterdam



Our brief time in Amsterdam was wonderful--it's such a charming city where skinny apartment buildings and canals abound. I am so glad we decided to stay outside the city center because the touristy section was rather blah. Too many people, bikes everywhere, and there was more than a fair share of raucous youth. My days of party traveling are long over, but Amsterdam has quite the draw for that.

The section of town we stayed in, Alexanderkade, was quiet and gorgeous. We had a Laverne and Shirley basement apartment that was stocked with food by the owner--Dutch cheese, wine, stroopwaffles and more. One day we spent 5 hours walking around the city, and although Sojo's feet were super tired, she was a real rock star. I often wonder if she will grow up wanting to travel the world or if she will just want to stay put with all the travelling we do.

I'd love to go back one day as we just scratched the surface of all there is to do in Amsterdam. But, for now, it's back to work with another year of little ones. Sojo is all set to start first grade next week!






1 comment:

Popo and Nana and Gong Gong and Granda said...

Roots and wings...

So glad you enjoyed Amsterdam. I know your Dad loved it when he traveled there. If I had a bucket list, it would probably be on it. However, I have traveled far more than I ever dreamed and am grateful for the opportunity. If I never got to leave my backyard again, I would still feel blessed as if I had missed nothing.So happy that you are getting to follow your dreams. Charming capture of the city.