Friday, May 17, 2013

Some Things Never Change

Ever since Sojo was fairly tiny, she has developed attachments to random inanimate objects. There was the wagon one summer that became our dog Herfy, invisible camels that came home with us from the playground and her seemingly insatiable love of gourds as friends. I kind of thought she had moved out of that phase. That is, until I came home from the grocery store the other day with a big ol' watermelon. There was an instant love connection with Sojo, and she asked/begged/pleaded that I not "cut up her best friend." Yikes!

Welcome, Cutie Patootie, to the family. In true Sojo fashion, Cutie Patootie was given a place at the table. There was a big decision on what hat to wear while he ate some chicken.


Then we made him a bed on the floor and tucked him in. 


As we headed out to dinner the next night, Sojo really wanted Cutie Patootie to come with us. Um...seriously? Bring a watermelon to a restaurant? But come with us he did, much to the amusement of everyone else at the restaurant. I do love how she is not phased at all by the weirdness of bringing a pet watermelon to a public place; it just affirms how she looks at the world in such a different way. And I also realize that part of the reason she can do that is because Dale and I let her embrace that wackiness. 


I love that we are the kind of parents who bring a watermelon out to eat. I hope to always be the parent that appreciates how groovy she is. 







1 comment:

Popo and Nana and Gong Gong and Granda said...

I love that you are that kind of parents too. You are one lucky wacky family that we all love to the moon and back.