Sunday, March 10, 2013

Top Secret Reader

This post has to be top secret as Sojo slightly freaked out when I took this picture the other day. And slightly is an understatement.* She actually made me promise to delete it, but I couldn't do it. You see, she has been reading these great books every night for homework in Kindergarten. Perfect books for her age and with just the right amount of words, but she's not totally into them.

And then we checked out a Star Wars Jedi Guide from the library. For three days, it's all we read--early in the morning, right after school and before bed. I can now recite every level of Jedi skills and list the chain of events that caused the downfall of Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker.



And then it clicked. We came home from school the other day, and she sat alone with her book while I was on the couch. I looked up, and this is what I saw. Tiny, heart-shaped lips moving quietly and sounding out the words. All by herself. And then hearing things like, "Your...lightsaber...is your...life."


So I'm sorry, sweet Sojo. I had to keep the picture since this was a super cool day in your life. Maybe you'll understand when you are older. 

* Age 6 is proving to be challenging in that Sojo has very strong reactions--teenager-like reactions!-- more than ever before. We were lucky to skip the terrible 2's, but 6 is giving me a run for my money. Even Sojo said the other day, "you've got to love 'em through it." True that, Sojo. 

2 comments:

Popo and Nana and Gong Gong and Granda said...

Oh, I remember when her Mama was six. Prior to that, I was her entire life and I knew everything. I never got a challenging word out of her. Then, she turned six and was in school and suddenly, there was a whole new world to her. I'd like to think that I was still her world in some ways. Giving her those wings was never easy. Luckily, you have a bright little girl who knows that "loving" is the only way to get through it. For the next 100 years, Mama. Love you to the moon..both of you.

Anonymous said...

Oh, how great this entry will be in the memory book! Love the hall picture. Love to all Nie Nie