Saturday, November 10, 2012

Desert Campers

Our school hosted a staff party in the desert last weekend, and we were keen to head out on our first 4 wheeling trip into the sand dunes. These were the dunes just like you see in photos--wavy lines carved by the wind and nothing but sand for miles. Walking across that sand was one of those moments that made me stop and revel in gratitude. Roaming the Earth while truly trying to understand the various people that make up this amazing world is what makes me a better person, a more understanding person and it brings me such joy. 


There were camels...

and sunsets...

and camel bone discoveries... (they were so bleached that they appeared to be painted white)


and cool morning sand between my toes while walking with my man. 



I am finding that the desert demands a state of mind that is peaceful. The vastness of it all is overwhelming to me at times, but when I take the time to be quiet and accept its emptiness, it envelops me with peace. It feels like there is a lesson in this desert for me. 





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was the most beautiful blog entry ever Tara. Your choice of words went deep into my soul. You have such a beautiful spirit and you should write more. I am waiting for that book.

BTW...at Redemptorist Renewal Center where I often go into the desert to find that kind of peace I think you are talking about...they have a scripture on the wall in the chapel "the desert will lead you to your heart where I will speak" Hosea 2:14 I don't know why the desert is like that, but it is. The starkness of it...the quiet of it...the glistening sun on the sand. Your desert is even more stark, more quiet and I am sure the sun glistens on it like on the sea. To me, the sea and the desert both bring that sense of peace. However, I can see how much more, your desert can do that. I think the desert teaches us a lot about ourselves and the world in which we live. The universe is a beautiful gift. Enjoy it my dear. Thank you for the gift of your words. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Love the pics, especially the one of you and Dale. It will be interesting to see if I have a similar desert experience. I am waiting for your book as well. I love and appreciate your writing! Nie Nie