Friday, September 28, 2012

Saudi National Day


On Monday after school, I heard all this honking outside our house. I went outside to find a string of cars with kids hanging out the windows, waving Saudi flags and making a general ruckus. Seems it was Saudi National Day, and there was a party going on in a nearby park. I quickly called my friend Kate, and we headed off to check it out. Needless to say, it was a blast.! They loaded us down with Saudi swag, the kids were dressed all adorable in their green, and they had the local musicians back again. I love that no one blinks an eye that two American girls are laden with Saudi hats and flags. My thought is it makes the Saudis happy to see us participating as there were not that many foreigners there. 



Another beautiful moment was seeing two younger people in wheelchairs. The last two countries I have lived in have been very secretive about their disabled, yet Saudi seems to embrace them. There was one teenage boy who was rocking out to their music, so the musicians had the boy's father bring him up on stage so he could be right there with them. It was very poignant. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a beautiful global day. Love you, Mom