Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Wide World

It's no secret that I love teaching internationally. I truly, truly love the experiences for myself and now for Sojo. Having been abroad for 19 years now, I've bee-bopped around the world enough to have met lovely people on many continents. And although our lives are more transient than most, there are so many people who have made an impact on our lives. This little girl was a friend of ours in Shanghai, and she and Sojo look so much alike (seriously--this is like a power punch of cuteness!) and they both talk incessantly and are both such spunky little beings. Her family was in town this weekend, so we met up with them to lounge by their hotel pool and catch up on the last two years of life and such.



And, then, just as I am talking to Kimbra, I look up to see a woman staring at me in disbelief. It was another friend from ten years ago when we worked in Cameroon together. Her mom was my director and a good, good woman who nurtured many of us in that challenging place.



Maybe it is the transient lifestyle that brings those of us with the vagabond lifestyle together so tightly. Either way, I am always grateful for the three degrees of separation we say we have overseas.

1 comment:

popo said...

I love you, my dear vagabond daughter. Don't tell anyone, but I probably live vicariously through you on many levels.