Friday, June 04, 2010

Airplane Loot


It's that time of year again. Buzzing with excitement to get back to family, farmer's markets and our sweet house but also dreading that it takes so long to get home. Any long-time readers out there will know that there was once a parent-imposed travel ban on Sojo for about a year after some pretty miserable flights, but I think we're past that now. We're being smart this year and stopping off in Tokyo for 2 days to rest up and hit Disneyland in style. Even with the genius of breaking up the trip, we still have many, many hours of flying and waiting until we hit the gorgeous Tucson desert.

So we've stocked up on some airplane loot. Things to bring out every few hours that are new and exciting and will suck up about 20 minutes of a long flight. Truth be told, Dale and I had a lot of fun picking it all out the other day. As usual, I had to control him from buying 8 million matchbox cars.

And what a difference from one summer to the next--she's so independent now. I've been able to have some time to myself this afternoon while she and her friend play some sort of complex "it's winter and I must wear lots of clothes" game. They run in every 2 minutes to tell me there is an emergency (usually means they can't open something), I fix it and go back to getting into vacation mode. Ahhhh, summer. I do love thee so.

Sojo in her winter dinosaur costume.

3 comments:

Tara and Dale said...

Dude! They're HOTWHEEL cars!!! Not matchbox -- totally different quality (Hotwheels roll forever!)
--Dale

popo said...

Dude...a car's, a car. Maybe our kids were deprived. I think they all had Matchbox ones.

How I love that sweet face. Can't wait to snuggle up and hug her and kiss her and play with her and love her and do it all over again. 4 more wake ups... hurry up.

Dyann said...

I don't know if you've discovered this one yet, but if you store the little toys in a tin lunchbox or a cookie tin with low sides, then Sojo can drive cars and play with little things inside the box, and they are less likely to fall on the floor. It's also great because you can stick magnets all inside the box. Cookie sheets work well, too, but are a bit big for the plane.
Good luck!