Friday, April 30, 2010

Visions of Our Family To Be


Our adoption process is proving to be a slow waiting game, which seems to be the case with adopting. However, we talk about Bodhi (the name we have chosen after the bodhi tree in Buddhism, which is so important to Thailand) all the time, and in Sojo's mind, he is almost here. So much so that her preschool teacher stopped me the other day and said, "I heard Sojo's brother is coming tomorrow." Hilarious because Sojo, unbeknownst to us, has been doing a countdown of his arrival at school, and all the teachers were getting excited. Our thought is that it won't happen until at least October or November at this point. We are still waiting for the second round of fingerprints to come back, and we cannot move forward until that happens. Crossing our fingers we can at least submit our paperwork before we leave for summer vacation in June.

In the meantime, the most beautiful relationship is developing between Sojo and Bodhi. Maybe it's because he will be old enough to be a playmate of sorts or because we all talk about him often, but she is smitten and protective and sisterly already. Every pair of pants that is too small, she saves for him. Every item we see that is tiny, she wants for him. And her family project from school--he is right there with us. Already a part of our family.

This waiting is so different than the last time. Sweeter because of Sojo.


And, in the category of something I never, ever want to forget...

Getting ready for bed the other night, Sojo said to me,

"Mama, when Bodhi comes, he might cry."

"I know, Sojo. It's ok. We'll help him."

"Know what I could do? I could take his bed and push it right next to mine. Then I could hold his hand if he cries."

That kid is something else.

10 comments:

Robin said...

What a beautiful post, Tara. I have to admit I got a little teary-eyed at the last part. What a lovely name you've chosen for your little man.
Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to meet him.

popo said...

Yes, that kid is something. But then, so is her mama and baba. Can't wait to meet that little guy either. What fun you will have.

popo said...

P.S. I love the playdoh family picture. You are all quite colorful and well dressed.

Tracey said...

She is an amazing little girl which says a lot about both you and Dale. Can't wait to meet the newest member of your family. He looks very cute according to Sojo's pictures.

Prita said...

Tara,
This post made me cry! You are a wonderful writer. We are really looking forward to seeing you guys this summer!

Take Care,
Prita McKenna

Colleen said...

What a fantastic post! I love Sojo and I love your whole family! I also love the name Bodhi. Very meaningful, but has a cool surfer dude feel to it!!! :o) Can't wait to meet him!

Sharon Dent said...

That kid has a beautiful spirit, and she's going to be an amazing big sister. Her artwork is absolutely precious. I'm counting down with Sojo - can't wait to meet Bohdi! xoxo

Karen said...

Precious! I think Sojo will be wanting to be close and holding Bodhi's hand, regardless! :) I'm extremely happy for all of you and hope the waiting isn't too long. I look forward to seeing pictures of the four of you! : )

susi said...

Tara...this is one of the most beautiful and heart warming posts i have ever read...wow...he is already loved! ~S

Anonymous said...

Very special! Thanks for sharing, I really like the play dough family! Hopefully you will hear soon! Love Nie Nie