Saturday, March 06, 2010

Books and Rainbows

Our school had an international food fair today, and it was Sojo's first time ever eating shaved ice in a bowl. How have we missed that fab experience? I think it's because mostly it's sold on the street here, and my street food days are long over. No matter--she was in heaven eating this and declared it to be the yummiest food she's ever had. When Dale asked her what it tasted like, she said, "It tastes like a rainbow." Sounds like the seed of a poem.
Add a big helping of Chinese noodles and jiao zis (dumplings) and it was a great food day.
But before all that food fun, we had something new and exciting. Dale and I decided to try opening the school library once a month for parents and children. We love the idea of building community and Dale will do some guitar songs in future months. I ran a short story time for the littlest ones, and even though I was a bit nervous (they are so small and have the attention span of a cheerio), they were amazing and the whole experience was incredibly fun. Sojo helped me pick the two stories* and even came up and helped me sing the songs, of course adding an original of her own called "The Dinosaur."
I adore this picture. Sojo was my built-in laugh track during the story. She let loose and guffawed at all the funny parts, in her own way letting the other kids know it was time to laugh.

*The awesome stories were Bark, George! and Hooray for Fish. Both work really well with little ones on up to kinder or so.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Sounds like an awesome Saturday activity - it should grow into something that 'feels like a rainbow". Have fun livin' !!

popo said...

Love you guys....love the smiles and all that surrounds them.