Thursday, February 25, 2010

My Vantage Point

This was the scene on the playground the other day. Seems we're moving away from parallel play to more interactive play, which translates to mama actually sitting and reading a book on the playground and even having an adult conversation or two while the kids play. Everything lately is on her own, from dressing herself to going to the bathroom to playing. Sweet, sweet, sweet to see.

And at school, it was international day. Having this sort of day at an international school is like a UN gathering of small people. Watching all the kids in their home country outfits makes me tear up at a moment's notice. The special day gave me the chance to pull out my Cameroonian bubu. I mean, where else am I going to wear this gorgeousness? When I put it on this morning, it reminded me of a lovely lady named Rose in Cameroon. She loved when I wore bubus, but she hated that I wore flip-flops with them. It was high heels or nothing for her. Her philosophy was (and how I wish I could convey the African accent of a strong, deep warm voice here)...

"When I walk out the door each day, I don't know if I'm going to get hit by a bus. If I do, I'd certainly want to be looking good."
Wise words from one heck of a woman, but I am still wearing flip-flops today at school.

1 comment:

popo said...

And you sure do look good woman. And I love the happy smile on Sojo's face too. Two super sweet girls.