Monday, December 14, 2009

Jetsetter

Living in Southeast Asia, and especially a hub like Bangkok, makes quick little trips affordable and easy. This past weekend, Dale graciously stayed home to babysit while I jetted off to Hong Kong (that even sounds cool!) to see my dear friends from way back in the Ecuador days, Sharon and Pierre. It was a 36 hour trip that consisted mostly of drinking coffee and nonstop talking on the deck of their oh-so-funky houseboat, Matilda. We did venture off the boat to get a taste of Hong Kong, and I am besotted. What a fantastic place--vibrant, cosmopolitan, uber-efficient, and surrounded by green hills. Definitely on my list of favorite places to visit or live, and I'm sure we'll have to work a Disney trip in somewhere for the family.

Matilda in all her glory. I am suffering from serious houseboat envy now...
These are the garbage guys. You leave your garbage on the deck each day and they come by with a big hook to pick it up. An added bonus is they throw a new bag on the deck for you.

My room. Lights from the water dancing on the ceiling as I fell asleep. A bit of rocking when other boats passed by. Bliss. Well, mostly bliss. I did make a greenhorn boat move and jammed my pinky toe on the step going down. Ouch!

3 comments:

popo said...

Sounds delightful. Always nice to catch up with good friends.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time!
NieNie

Aimee said...

WOW! I am so glad you all were able to spend some time together! Love the pic :-)